Canneloni is a traditional meal when there is something to celebrate. They are very common here the 26th of December, what we called, Sant Esteve. Normally, they are from meat, but spinach´s canneloni are also very common but maybe more common in summer time. Today there is something to celebrate, the Annual Festival of Barcelona (La Mercè). La Mercè is the patron saint (24th of September) of the city. It lasts different days, and there is plenty of activities such as music concerts, theatre, free museum tickets and so.
Canneloni were introduced in Catalonia in the XIX century by Italians. Catalan Spinach´s canneloni means that we will use pine nut and raisins.
What we need for 10 canneloni:
For the canneloni:
350 gr spinach
some pine nuts
1/2 clove of garlic
2 eggs (optional)
emmental grated cheese
200 gr fried tomatoe sauce
50 ml double cream
provençal herbs (optional)
10 pieces of canneloni
For the Bechamel sauce:
500 ml good milk
4 tablespoons of flour
a pinch of nutmeg
1. Let´s boil the pieces of canneloni for about 15 minutes. Follow the instructions of the manufacturer. Use some oil and remove it from time to time.
2. Boil 2 eggs and cut them in small pieces.
3. Boil the spinachs for 5-8 min minutes. Cool them down with some water. Be sure to remove all the water and cut them.
4. In a frying pan, fry the onion (cut it in very small pieces) and the pine nuts, and when the onion gets a slight brown colour, add the sliced garlic and then the boiled spinachs. Remove. Then add the double cream, 2 boiled eggs in pieces and the raisins (cut them in half). Add salt, black pepper, some cinnamon (just a little) and some provençal herbs (a little).
5. When the pasta is done, remove the water and add some cold water. Remove the water.
6. In a non-sticky surface, put the pasta one by one. Distribute the mix of spinachs in these 10 portions. Wrap each of them. and put the open side backwards in a plate with some tomatoe at the bottom.
7. Prepare the bechamel sauce. In a saucepan, put a tablespoon of butter and let it melted.Add the milk and make it boiled. When is it boiling, reduce the fire and add the salt, and some nutmeg. Keep removing it all the time. Then add the sifted flour and beat it well every time between each tablespoon. Beat till it gets the consistency and it is homogenous.
8. Pour the bechamel on the top of the canneloni and add some cheese and butter.
9.Gratin it in the oven for about 5 minutes. Check it carefully.